EAST TAMPA ACADEMY
ADMISSION AND ENROLLMENT PROCEDURES
East Tampa Academy complies with all federal and state statutes related to student admissions and enrollment for charter schools.
Students currently enrolled at East Tampa Academy do NOT participate in Open Enrollment. They are guaranteed a seat for the upcoming school year. Parents must return the Intent to Return form. Each spring, the school will notify returning families of the timeline to submit the Intent to Return form.
Important: Submitting an admission application may not guarantee that your child can enroll at East Tampa Academy. We must follow the federal and state guidelines for charter schools. These include:
- If the school is at capacity, we cannot enroll additional students.
- If the number of applicants exceeds the number of available openings for any grade level, a random lottery must be held to determine the students who will be invited to enroll for the upcoming school year.
OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD FOR NEW STUDENTS
Annually, the Open Enrollment period will begin March 15 and close April 15. Notice will be posted in advance on the school website.
During the Open Enrollment period, all eligible students who submit an admission application during the designated period will have an equal opportunity to be admitted, regardless of whether the application is submitted on the first day or the last day of Open Enrollment. The admission application is available HERE .
At the close of the Open Enrollment period on April 15 if the number of students who apply is less than the number of openings available, by grade level, no lottery will be held. East Tampa Academy will notify parents and provide information on accessing and submitting the enrollment packet to the school. Forms will be available online and through the school office.
Enrollment will continue until the number of students reaches grade level capacity. Students who submit an application after grade level or school-level capacity is reached will be placed on the wait list in the order in which their application is received. All applications are time and date stamped.
LOTTERY RULES AND PROCEDURES
If the number of students who apply during the Open Enrollment period exceeds the number of openings at any grade level, all eligible students who submitted an application during Open Enrollment will be included in a random lottery and have an equal opportunity to be selected to enroll at East Tampa Academy for the upcoming school year. [s. 1002.33(10)(b), F.S.]
The lottery will be held in April at East Tampa Academy and is open to the public. The exact date and time will be posted on our website. The school will notify all parents of the lottery results by April 30.
Any student who is not selected to enroll through the random lottery process will be placed on a waitlist in the order in which his/her name was drawn.
OFFER TO ENROLL AFTER THE LOTTERY
Following the lottery, East Tampa Academy will notify all parents of students will be offered a seat and can enroll for the upcoming school year. Once the notification has been emailed to the parent, the parent will have five (5) business days, starting from the date the offer to enroll is made to accept or decline the enrollment offer. If the parent does not respondwithin five (5) business days, the school will contact the next applicant on the waitlist.
A student who submits an application may be added to the wait list under any of the following circumstances.
- A random lottery is held for all students who submitted an application during the Open Enrollment period because more students applied for the upcoming school year than the number of available seats, either by grade level or school capacity. During the lottery, the student’s name is not drawn before all seats are filled by grade level or school capacity. The student will then be put on the waitlist in the order in which his/her name was drawn.
- A student submits an application after the open enrollment period closes and the student’s grade level is full, or the school is at capacity. The student will then be put on the waitlist in the order in which the application was received. All applications are date and time stamped.
- A student’s name is drawn in the lottery, the parent is notified, but does not respond within the five (5) day window.
If, at any time an opening becomes available, the school will contact the next student on the waitlist. East Tampa Academy will make several attempts to contact the parent by phone and email.The parent will have 48 hours to accept the offer to enroll their child. If the parent does not respond, we will contact the next family on the waitlist.
The waitlist does not carry over from one year to the next. Any student on the waitlist for a given school year must reapply the following school year.
Students currently enrolled in the school are not required to reapply. They will be automatically enrolled in the next school year unless the parent notifies the school. Parents are requested to complete the Intent to Return form by the date identified annually.
In accordance with s. 1002.33(10), Florida Statutes, East Tampa Academy will give enrollment preference to the following student populations:
- Students who are siblings of a student enrolled in the school.
- Students who are the children of an employee of the school.
- Students who are the children of a member of the governing board of the school.
- Students who are the children of an active-duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Forces.
- Students who have successfully completed a voluntary prekindergarten education program under ss. 1002.51 – 1002.79, Florida Statutes provided by the charter school or the charter school’s governing board during the previous year, or a voluntary prekindergarten provider that has a written agreement with the governing board.
- Students who attended or are assigned to a failing school pursuant to s. 1002.38(2), Florida Statutes.
CONTROLLED OPEN ENROLLMENT
In accordance with s. 1002.31(2)(b), Florida Statute, a child who resides outside Hillsborough County and is not expelled or suspended may enroll at East Tampa Academy if the school has not reached capacity. East Tampa Academy provides preferential enrollment under its Controlled Open Enrollment Plan to students who reside in Hillsborough County. For more information, please contact the school at (813) 816-2100.
East Tampa Academy does not discriminate nor tolerate harassment on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender orientation, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, genetic information or pregnancy in its education programs, services or activities, or in its hiring or employment practices; and it will take immediate action to eliminate such harassment, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects. East Tampa Academy also provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other patriotic youth groups, as required by the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Ronald J. Anderson, School Director, East Tampa Academy, 4309 N. 34th St., Tampa, FL 33610, (813) 816-2100.